Tuesday, February 26, 2008

All too soon..........


The scene is the Abshire kitchen, Sunday morning with 2 out 3 children too sick to go to church. Abbie, the well one, is having breakfast with me. She asks me if she could have a mug of hot cocoa with breakfast. I am busy cooking oatmeal and go on autopilot. I am sure my friends with young children are nodding in understanding! Next thing I know I have Abbie's cute pilgrim mug (which the little boy to whom she is betrothed to gave her) & my coffee mug together on the counter. I proceed to pour TWO mugs of coffee, mind you; I am the ONLY person in this house that drinks coffee. As I looked at the mugs of coffee, I am flooded with feelings and images that surprise me. Surprised I just poured my seven year old a mug of coffee; images of a grown daughter sharing a pot of coffee with me someday; and a rush of feelings; and images of Abbie growing up right before my eyes. It amazed me how many feelings one can experience in a split second. As I brought myself back to reality, in my kitchen with my seven year old who is eagerly awaiting her oatmeal & hot cocoa; I poured her mug filled with coffee back into the pot and happily filled her mug with hot cocoa topped with whip cream! We sat together sharing breakfast and I kissed her sweet young little head and had a fresh appreciation for each day knowing all too soon she would be sitting here having a mug of coffee with me. Knowing also that mug of coffee would bring things bigger than her seven year world and I welcomed the time line between those two mugs!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Liz, I wish I could be there right now having a cup of coffee with you. Cheers! Thank the Lord for the little girls and boys in our lives.

Steve and Jenn said...

I had a similiar moment in the wee hrs of the morning with Aaron. Looking at those tiny hands and wondering "what were these made for? What jobs will they do? What woman will they care for? Will they be tender to his children?" All too soon!

Yvonne said...

Made me tear up! Oh, the precious moments that we share with our kids. Time flies! I love that the Lord is timeless...time is in His bosom (I think that AW Tozer said that.)

Can I have coffee with you? or hot choc. with whip would be fine, too. Just being in your presence is the best treat of all.