Friday, July 24, 2009

Long Meadow




Addison watching the horses & mules in the meadow.
Sydney, my buddy, making me rock pancakes.

With temperatures running pretty hot here at home, it was a get time to head to the high country and chase cattle. Benny & I headed up to Long Meadow for the weekend to help some friends move cattle. As we came into Tyler Creek we were to look for any cattle that were down there and move them to the shoot to push up the next day. We had five head to move, so we jump out and got to work. **Note to self, a sleeveless, chink-less, spur-less cowgirl is not a good combo with brushy terrain! ** But it was a good ride. So Saturday morning Benny & I are to push the cows we have in the chute up to the top. Simple enough!! From the start Baby Girl (my mare) is having attitude! We couldn’t figure out if she wasn’t warmed up (we started out uphill right off), was she sore from the day before, or hurt. Regardless, she didn’t want to go uphill. So for the first hour it was crazy & frustrating. She doesn’t get me mad very often, but I was MAD today. She didn’t care that I had spurs on! She would let me lead her up but she wouldn’t go with me on her. So off I go leading my horse up a STEEP hill. After about a half a dozen stops Benny has any idea. He grabs her reins, I grab the very back of her tail, and he says just keep picking up your feet! Here we go! It was great; she pulled me up that hill!
She did great the rest of the day after we were off the steep stuff. I do have to confess, I was shopping in my head for a new horse the rest of the day! Don’t you tell her that! She is already sassy enough!
At the end of the day when you are looking at an amazing sky for of stars and listening to the horses in mules in the meadow, it was a great day and would do it all over again. Well, maybe skip the first part of the shoot. I do love working cattle and am thankful I have some great friends who love it too.
This is some beautiful country!

No comments: