Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Indestructible Hopie Continues......

The very first post on this blog was titled "Indestructible Hopie", that was almost 1 1/2 years ago. With our precious Hope we might be able to start a series under this title. Our new adventure last weekend was the ingestion of a watch battery.
As I was putting the girls to bed, we had extras that night; it got far too quiet far too quick. I should have known!! Unbeknownst to me the girls were passing around a watch battery that belonged to a lapel pin that lights up, and touching it to their tongues. Well the battery ended up in Hopie's mouth ~ surprise, surprise, surprise! So the girls erupt from the room telling me Hopie swallowed a part of her heart necklace. They made it sound like a very small part of her heart necklace. Upon inspection I couldn't find any sign of it and sent them back to bed letting them know that Hopie would be okay. Upon putting them to bed Abbie asks me, "Isn't it bad to swallow a battery?" I informed her that it was, "WHY???" :( That is when they show me what Hopie swallowed. That is when I kicked it into gear. Parents, Doctors, & poison control are called for direction! She was taken to the emergency room to confirm where the battery was. It was in a "good" spot, if there is such a thing. A "good" spot would NOT be inside Hopie, but that is neither here nor there. It had made it to her stomach. The critical area & timing was to pass the esophagus. So several hours later, a couple of scary moments, lots of prayers later she is discharged to go home & pass a battery at home. I love my job!
Upon farther investigating on why they were playing with a watch battery I was told, "It made my tongue tickle!" I still am wondering how I feel about having my own case number at poison control. I do hope that Hopie does not provide us with the material for a series under this title. BUT if she does, Jesus had let me know that I will be okay! He assures me I am equipped for the task before me! I praise Him for watching over Hope's body & spirit and being with me. His presence is my peace.
So continues the Adventures in AbshireLand!!!!

1 comment:

Karen Whitten said...

Has the battery made it's entrance back into the world? Camille swallowed an earring about a year ago. We never found it... Still bothers me, but the DR insists we must have missed it on it's way out. I hope she is doing ok now! :)