Wednesday, March 11, 2009

8 Seconds......well maybe not quite!

Last Sunday my father-in-law, Bill, needed some help gathering some cattle for a friend. My buddy Benny & I were happy to help! If it has to do with horses, cattle, beautiful country, count us in! There were six of us to help so we split into two groups when we went to head out. Bill, Benny, and I headed out together. We hadn’t been out 5-10 minutes when the other group had run into to cattle and we were just going along. I had just turned to my father-in-law and joked about who picked this side of the mountain (he had) ~ no cattle! Just then Baby Girl, my mare, went to hopping a little, as she does when she is scared by something. I turn to see what is upsetting her and see two free horses running our way to play with our horses. Note to self ~ free horses can be VERY dangerous for those of us horseback! Anyway, I turn to check on the others and find my father-in-law lookin’ like Lane Frost on his mare. Dee Dee went to bucking and Bill was hanging on. He tried his best to ride through it but there was no way. After he was on the ground she still was bucking. There were some scary thoughts for a few seconds until the horses settled down. Bill took a good spill but is on the mend. He has takin’ some pretty hard teasing from his buddies. What was probably 4 seconds felt no less than 8 seconds! He is my father-in-law, that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I want to come to Abshireland! I so wish we could have seen each other. I was in Tulare on Tuesday. I am going back to Tulare in April and then May, so maybe we can connect then. Love you!