Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"That Woman!"

A few years ago I (Elizabeth) was reading through the book of Proverbs. I ran across a certain woman that bothers me. She is the woman that all women dread. She is the adulteress woman in chapters 5-7. I got to thinking about "this woman" and what I could do to protect my home & marriage from "her". So I asked Aaron a question that caught him off guard. I asked him, "Honey, do I captivate you?" He really didn't know where this was coming from; at least that is what his eyebrows said. Was he thinking, "Is this loaded question?" I explained to him my readings and thoughts regarding "this woman" in Proverbs. I told him, "Honey, if I don't captivate you, she will and wants to!" He assured me that I captivate him and that his favorite view is "from my front porch looking in". It has become a sweet thing at our home, that I have received several spontaneous notes that read "You captivate me" from Aaron. Those sweet words just grow my love for that man.

As I read through Proverbs this year, when I came across "that woman" I sent a text to Aaron and wrote him "that woman is back" to which he replied "you captivate me". It is a way we keep those lines of communication open. Today, I received an email from Family Life Today that goes right along with this and thought I'd share it.

March 10
The Power of a Woman

by Barbara Rainey

I have come out to meet you, to seek your presence earnestly, and I have found you. I have spread my couch with coverings, with colored linens of Egypt.Proverbs 7:15-16

Few things are more abhorrent to me than seeing women make sexual advances toward married men, either on television or in real life. We should recoil at this kind of behavior. But just because flirtation is often corrupt doesn't mean there's anything wrong with making sexual advances toward one married man -- the one you're already married to.

I believe we can learn something from the powerful woman described in Proverbs 5–7. Although she is an adulteress and would not typically be seen as a positive role model, perhaps there is a pure use of this power when these tactics are directed toward a woman's own husband. For example:
*Her lips "drip honey" and are "smoother than oil" (Proverbs 5:3). There was a time during the dating season when gentle, soothing speech came easily. But now in marriage, it's all too easy to gripe and complain. Words are powerful. Use yours well, and you'll melt him like butter.
*"She seizes him and kisses him" (Proverbs 7:13). What would be the look on your man's face if, when you first saw him at the end of a day, you grabbed him around the shoulders and really planted one on him? There's not a man alive who wouldn't wonder what you'd had for lunch that day -- and who wouldn't hope you'll have it again tomorrow.
*She captures him "with her eyelids" (Proverbs 6:25). We wives can tend to get sloppy with our appearance around the house. That's understandable. But every once in a while, make sure you look good when he comes home. Really good. Use your eyes to engage him. "Capture" him with your physical attractiveness.

A wife who understands her allure as a woman is protecting her husband from temptation. She's like a magnet, drawing him home from the seductions of his day.
She's got power. And she knows how to use it.

*Discuss: Wives, find out from your man what would really make his day.
*Pray: Pray that God will never let Satan, who knows how to twist it, steal the joy of sexual attraction and romance from you.

1 comment:

Alex Aruliah said...

Hi Liz,
I enjoy reading your blog!!
I admire the relationship you and Aaron have, and pray that Priya and I would have a wonderful relationship together too!!

Love,
Alex