Monday, August 31, 2009

Longing for Long Meadow

With the craziness of the past week, a trip to Long Meadow was good for the soul. Benny & I headed up to move some cattle around for the last time before they gather them. It was a crazy, busy week, but I had a BIG sigh as I got in the truck. We didn't ride Friday because we got to the cabin too late and had to get everything settled. Saturday we moved cattle to a closer meadow, with more grass, until they gather them. It was a good ride, probably about 12 miles of riding that day. I loved it! During a waiting time to meet up with the cow boss, "Cowboy Steve" gave me some horsemanship tips with Baby Girl. I love learning new things with my horse. At supper that night I got a steak knife lesson. I was cutting my steak with a steak knife. Okay, I was struggling to cut my steak. One of the cowboys noticed my struggle and asked, "Don't you have a pocket knife? Cowboys always cut their steak with their pocket knives." So I pulled my pocket knife out and proceeded to cut my steak with ease. Then I was asked, what kind of knife I had. I held up a Case and laughed, as the three other cowboys I am sitting with hold up their Case knives. We all had a good laugh. One other lesson I got this weekend was mending fences. Benny & I went to go mend some fences that were in desperate need of repair. I watched Benny mend three of them and by the fourth I was tired of holding the wire. I asked Benny, "Can I do this one?" Benny is always happy to teach me something. I got to mend the next four fences. I loved it! My hands weren't lovin' it after I was finished. Again, I learned that I should always have a pair gloves on me when I am working.
Experience ~ gotta love it.
The nights are always a favorite for me at Long Meadow. The stars are amazing up there! I can't wait for them to come out. The camp fires with s'mores are a good warm up for the star show.
Camp fires & stars, there is just something about that combination.
Well, that was it for me this year up there. Benny reminded me of that as we were getting ready to head out. It caused me to pause for a moment and really take it all in before I go. I wouldn't see it all again for another year. I was thankful & grateful for my time & experiences up there at Long Meadow.
Happy Trails!!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

You are a true wonder. What an amazing experience. One I can only read about. Hugs!