Monday, October 19, 2009

Pearl's Debut

I am thrilled to report that Pearl had a fabulous debut. We have had the opportunity to work cattle the past couple of weeks. We had to gather cattle at a friend of my father-in-laws and I was able to see how Pearl was going to work out. She did great. She gives me what I ask for, when I ask for it, and doesn't get bothered by much. Okay, I still have not got the sorting thing down, especially when four people are telling me what to do! But experience will be the best teacher on that issue.
I also got to go help push cattle down from Tyler Creek. It was suppose to be an easy/short day. It was everything but that. It took a crazy amount of time. We had soooooo many calves we had to stop and load some up and just trailer them. The one funny story from this day was when I was chasing some cows that had turned back, my reins ended up on the same side and I was pulling the wrong one to stop. Hence Pearl was not stopping, or even slowing down at this point. I am running by Benny yelling, "We're gonna have a WRECK!!!" I was actually laughing and trying to get my reins in order. I was able to get her turned without having a wreck ~ thank you Jesus! That was a crazy day. The calves were so young and so many, they just made for the slowest day ever. We only did half the job that day, as we quit at dusk. I was assured that that was the worst they had ever had it go. Good, I can't wait for next year!
One thing is very true ~ cattle predict how long things take!
With all this, Pearl did a wonderful job. Wow, what a difference. Once you have had a "sassy" mare and then get one with a great temperament, it is crazy how good it feels. I am so thankful to have had Baby Girl first. I learned so much on her and through her. I would have been spoiled if I had had Pearl as a "first" horse. I have so much to learn & work on with Pearl.
I am excited for this journey in front of us.

No comments: