Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cattle Call

Psalm 50:10 For every beast of the forest is Mine,
the cattle on a thousand hills.
What time does that alarm clock say? Oh yeah, 2:45 AM!!! Benny picked me up at 3:15 AM this morning to go gather cattle for the McNultys. I was dragging a little until I got some coffee in me. Our ride up to the mountains was a chatty one. God has clearly put Benny & me together for some reason. We enjoy a friendship that is sweet! Okay, an old cowboy would not want to hear that but I don’t have to worry about Benny getting on the internet!
Today the temperatures were over 100 degrees, so we needed to get an early start. We left headquarters on horseback at 5:15 AM. Our goal was to gather the cattle off of "Bald Mountain", due to the lack of trees. Yep, not many trees there. I always wish I had pictures of things I get to see in the hills & mountains. Being able to watch the sun rise over the mountains with such beauty makes me thank my Creator for another day to love & serve Him.
Gathering the cattle went well. Okay, so I let a bull get away from me! I was mad at myself until they told me the others had picked him up on the way in. Baby Girl, my mare, did great. She likes to test me and we have a battle of the wills sometimes but I am starting to win more of those. She did a great job cutting off some calves when we were sorting. Okay, nobody mention the other bull that got by me! Today was not my day with the bulls, but experience is the best teacher. Not to mention every cowboy I have worked with is willing to help me learn. For that I am very thankful because I have so much to learn.
One of the interesting moments was when Jennifer couldn't figure out what something was. It was not a cow, it was too fuzzy to be a wild pig, then the bear stood up & looked at her before it ran off. One of my favorite parts was when we were driving the cattle to the corrals, I was ahead of them. The background was filled with cows bawling and the scenery was wildlife scurrying in front of us and purple wildflowers dancing on the hills. I just soaked everything up with a thankful heart. It was a great time.
It was a hot, long day. I got off my mare about 1:15. My bottom felt that it had been in the saddle for 8 hours. I gave Baby Girl a nice cold bath when we got back to the stables. Benny just kept smiling at me because I was so dirty. My girls wouldn’t hug me much because I was stinky! It was nothing that a good, cold shower didn’t fix! I had a great time with some great people doing one of my favorite things.
Thank you Jesus!

2 comments:

Steve and Jenn said...

I am so glad you are getting to fulfill some of your cowgirl dreams! I love to hear your experiences and the way God fills you when you are in His creation. I can attest to those great visual sites and calm assurance that this whole world is in His hands! Those moments are literally what my heart cries for and misses so dearly!

Yvonne said...

I want to ride with you and Benny!!! I miss you Liz! Love to you.